Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dhaka: the big city


According to Wikipedia, Dhaka has an estimated population of more than 15 million people, making it the largest city in Bangladesh and one of the largest cities in the world. Dhaka is one of the major cities ofSouth Asia.[6] It is known as the City of Mosques, and with 400,000 cycle-rickshaws running on its streets every day, the city is described as the Rickshaw Capital of the World

I agree!  My first impressions of Bangladesh brought back fond memories of my prior visits to Beijing.  It was 14 years ago in August, when I traveled to Beijing for my semester abroad.  Rickshaws everywhere, taxis with 3 wheels, overcrowded buses, motorcycles, pedestrians and cyclists filled the streets.  And the honking is non-stop!  Not to mention the 5-time a day call to prayer over loudspeakers.  You'd think these walls are made of paper.  Actually the guesthouse where I am staying is quite nice.  Everything about this place is nicer than I pictured; I suppose I had very low expectations.  I have a private room with an interesting shower.  The toilet is in the corner of the shower; very efficient.  I have air conditioning, PRAISE HIM!!   



I am enjoying the food as well, although everything is a little spicy.  At least I like spicy.  I started my language class yesterday and got my cell phone.  I am in awe that my iphone works with the new sim card; i figured it would be locked for sure.  I have two Salwar Kameez outfits that fit which were given to me as hand-me-downs, so I will need to shop for a few more soon.  I will be in the "big city" for 2 weeks  doing language study before taking a train to the country where the hospital is located.  There is wifi here but when I get to my hospital the internet may not work as well, so I am taking opportunity to skype with friends and family while I can.  

My heart feels good here, and I have such peace that this is where I'm supposed to be and am in His will.  I also feel safe.


Prayer requests:
  • For my language study, that I will learn quickly
  • for my health (many new foods)
  • for my jet lag (it's getting better but I still get very sleepy mid-day)
  • for my continued safety in a new place, pray things don't get stolen, etc.
Thank you all so much for following along!
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment