Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmastime in Bangladesh


So it somehow became December already… I’m not quite sure how that happened.  Time is going by so quickly these days.  My sister and I had a wonderful visit together.  We traveled around Dhaka (Bangladesh) then on to Kathmandu, Pokhara, Astam, Chitwan and back to Kathmandu (all in Nepal…all in 6 days).  Then it was back to Bangladesh and we took a day train to my home away from home so she could see my life here.  It was really special to have someone I love and who has known me since birth to experience what I am experiencing here.  Unfortunately, she was only able to stay a day and a half, but it was great! 

When she left, I had to prepare for Thanksgiving.  As one of four Americans in my community, I took on the responsibility of hosting Thanksgiving (also because the house I am living in belongs to an American who always hosts, except she is on home assignment in America now).   Since was traveling through Dhaka, I thought it might be possible to buy a turkey (not normally available in Bangladesh).  I asked around and found out the “German butcher” had turkeys imported from America for sale.  Before leaving for Nepal I wanted to call to reserve one.  I looked for a phone number online and on Facebook.  I was able to find an email address on Facebook, so my story is that I ordered a Thanksgiving turkey through Facebook!  When I arrived to pick it up I realized this was the most expensive (due to importing taxes, probably) and the biggest turkey I’ve ever taken on for Thanksgiving.  Also, those of you who know me well know I only cook once in a blue moon so I’ve only done maybe 3 turkeys in my life.  Anyway, needless to say, I was awake at 0530 Thanksgiving morning STRESSING about the turkey: Would it be thawed? Would it cook in time? Would I figure out the oven? Would it fit in a cooking dish?  Would I overcook it? The pressure was on: we had 25 expats coming and it was an expensive item so it had to work out!  Long story short, it worked out.  Everyone loved it, and the Americans especially expressed gratitude saying they never have a turkey.  Charlotte even told me, “You’re the type of person who just gets things done!”  What a nice compliment. 

Since Thanksgiving, I’ve been back to work after my 2-weeks off and busy again.  I had 2 roommates and they both left (one the day before and the other right after the meal on Thanksgiving) so I was on my own in the house for 9 days.  Rebecca came back yesterday but is leaving for good (gasp!) very soon.  It’s a little different being all alone in the house, especially at Christmastime, and has potential to put me into a bit of a funk.  I baked Christmas cookies Friday and Rebecca and I decorated the apartment yesterday so it’s really looking good!  Christmas Eve we have a special get together with the other expats and Christmas day there is a service and meal all together on the field that everyone dresses up for.  So, my time will be spent with my brothers and sisters in Christ and I feel it will be a Christmas to remember. 

As always, thanks for reading and thanks for your continued prayers.  Please pray that I will manage living alone and the holidays without feeling gloomy
Also please pray for my continued growing friendships with my Bangladeshi co-workers

Angela









1 comment:

  1. Wow do you sound busy Ang! Keep on being a blessing for all those around you. I'm sure your work is appreciated in more ways than you know.

    ReplyDelete